Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Chestnuts roasting on an open... street.

To celebrate having a week off from the after-school SAT prep class that I teach on Tuesdays (it's exam week here instead), I treated myself to a bag of warm roasted chestnuts. I picked these up for 3 kuai (about 40 cents) on the way home from a post office errand - a five-minute walk from our apartment building.
 
Chestnut vendors are a common sight - and scent - here. The nuts themselves are fairly soft and sweet. And, they are the only nut containing Vitamin C. Trivia for the day!

2 comments:

  1. That takes me back to the Keefe's chestnut tree--across the alley from Grandma's house in Illinois. There were chestnuts everywhere in our alley when I was growing up! (But we never did take advantage of the vitamin C!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm ... we roast them with Christa's family at Christmas sometimes. Such a comforting taste.

    ReplyDelete